Sometimes my kids get gifts I want to steal. Seriously. My Aunt Colleen sent the most adorable birthday gift for Ava. It is a wall decal “paper doll”. She is beautiful, her clothes are beautiful. I am pretty sure there will be days I sneak downstairs to dress her. So fun!!! Oh, and Ava loves her too~
Posts Tagged ‘toys’
What would Christmas be without something homemade! Since Ava’s favorite toys these days are Thomas and the characters from Cars what could be more fitting than a travel train and car mat. If you remember last year I spent countless hours hand stitching a felt zoo and farm play mat. I LOVE it but this time I decided to save time and order this very cool fabric on Etsy (which I can no longer find so no link) that had the scene already on it. All that was left to do was back it with denim and create a side pocket area for all her friends. I also sewed a ribbon on the end to roll it up, tie it shut and pack it away!
The True Story: I totally bought the wrong Thomas trains for Ava’s wooden train set on Craigslist. Feeling beyond dumb and taken I had to find a creative solution to use my un-usable trains and turn my major faux pas into crafting genius! So now her wood trains stay home and her Take Along Thomas can travel where ever she does!!! Plus it is pretty cute and I get to say, “Ya, I made that!”
I love the internet! Endless ideas and products right at your finger tips! Although I also find it totally overwhelming. My list of crafts is already endless and as for new things lets just say my budget does not cover my cravings! That being said here are just a few fantastic finds to inspire.
1. Snap Me swimwear– Not being a fan of two piece swimsuits for little girls I am just wondering why all one piece bathing suits for little girls are not made this way???? It would make life so much easier. If only my favorite bathing suit from crew cuts was made this way= Perfect! If only I could afford my favorite bathing suits from crew cuts!
2. Sweet seat boosters– with Ella needing the high chair soon we are in the market for a booster. These do not actually fit the decor of our house but could they be any cuter!? (or more expensive!?)
3. Tutu Du Monde- I may have blogged about these gorgeous tutus before but every time I see them I cannot help but turn giddy with desire. Part fairy, part princess and part ballerina what more could a girl want! I can only hope one day my sewing skills allow me to create such cuteness because no time soon will my bank account allow me to hit the purchase button!
4. DIY board games from ROMP– Love this store and love this idea. It is even something you could do yourself with cardboard, a ruler and a printer! Gotta love that. Another fun find from this store are blank board books! Ava is not quite ready but let me assure you blank board books are a thing in our future!!!
5. Yarn Wrapped Letters– I am so making AVA’s name this way for her new big girl room LOVE THEM!!! (thanks to Sarah Ortega Photography blog for the tutorial!)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.” ~Albert Einstein
Ava loves fairies. She asks Larry daily to fly her around the house as she shouts, “I’m a fairy. Look I’m flying, I am a fairy.”
With all the rain here in the northwest it was time for a project. Larry decided a fairy house was the perfect solution to our rainy Sunday! The finished product is pretty amazing if you ask me! We even had furniture from Auntie Sara waiting for a doll house someday… for now a fairy house will do! Every time she walks past it she says, “Thank you mommy and daddy for making my fairy house.” I just love this age of imagination where everything is magical!
Typically our mailbox is filled with either junk or bills. Once a month however is catalog day! Some people might group this with the junk pile, I , however love my mommy magazines. Sad but I barely look at the Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn anymore my house is hardly the current priority. Instead I am a sucker for things for my girls. I sit an look though each catalog creating a mental wish list. I thought I would share my favorite finds from five of this months catalogs!
1. Chasing Fireflies– Seattle store that has overpriced fabulous finds. From clothes to accessories to the best and most extravagant halloween costumes you can find. I just love these personalized mermaid towels. $48-
2. Tea Collection– Unique and comfortable clothes with a worldly touch! Simple but I love this summer top and shorts! I think it is the great color of the shorts that makes it for me! Montaner Flora Top $39 and Las Ramblas Cuffed Shorts $35
3. Crew Cuts– LOVE, LOVE the feminine yet tom boy funky looks. Too bad it would be a small fortune to invest in a wardrobe. Sometimes I am lucky and find a few sale pieces I cannot pass up. This jacket and dress with bright Jack Percel sneakers would be PERFECT for a spring photo shoot! Too bad it is so not in my budget! Alassandra Dress $78 and Schooner Swing Jacket $98
4. Land Of Nod- when I decorated Ava’s nursery it was all about Pottery Barn Kids. I would love for Ava’s big girl room to be all about Land of Nod! I just love the fun colors and patterns of this fabric jewelry box. I love stripes and polka dots together! $20
5. Pottery Barn Kids- For the most part I am Pottery Barn Kids’ out. Ava has what I would want and I know find myself perfering the look of Land of Nod for bedding and decor. But Ava LOVES butterflies and I do find myself drawn to these butterfly mirrors. $59
About a month before Ella was born I took Ava shopping. I wanted her to pick out a special big sister gift to give Ella when she came home. Something to get her excited about the arrival. Of course I knew that she would want to buy Ella a million things that were actually more for herself so I prompted her in a direction I found acceptable. Ava LOVES her blanket! So we went shopping for Ava to pick out one special blanket that would be just Ella’s. She was so excited and picked out a very soft cream and pink blanket. She talked all the time about how she was going to give it to Ella when she came out of Mommy’s tummy. And that is just what she did!
Ella presented Ava with a gift also although I debated forever about what that gift should be. In the end we gave her a gift that originally was from my mom but it was just so perfect from a new baby sister… Manhattan Toys Nina the Nursing Cat. The little kittens magnetically stick to mama when they are nursing and come off just as easy for play. So cute!!! If you are not a cat person they also have a dog version. I just love it! Thanks mom for sharing your wonderful find!
Another gift I have in the wings and will share with Ava soon is a baby doll Ergo carrier. I LOVE my ergo carrier and soon Ava will be seeing Ella in it often. Now she will be able to carry her animals or dolls just like mama! It looks just like mine… So Fun!!!
So I have come to the conclusion that crafts and sewing is a dangerously addictive habit! And I have not even broken out the sewing machine. So far I have been an all hand stiched gal! For what ever reason the sewing machine completly intimadates me! I am hoping for some help when my mom arrives to finish up the crafts on my list! It certainly will be a lot faster!
Ava’s two favorite things to cook in her oven are cookies and cupcakes both items that demand a proper oven mitt! Her Melissa and Doug cookie set came with an adorable red and white check oven mitt but her kitchen is pink! What to do?
So, I used the red and white oven mitt as a pattern and created these which perfectly match her adorable kitchen and aprons. I lined them with a fun flannel pattern and made loops adorned with buttons to create proper storage. With no where to hang the oven mitts I purchased S hooks from Lowes! PERFECT!
**They have no real insulation purely for play! Plus toddlers should not handle hot food even with the proper mitts!